Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Why is treatment not offered while in prison?

Sex offender treatment has proven to have a positive impact on offenders and reduces the risk of recidivism. So why isn't this offered while incarcerated? Almost every state doesn't offer this treatment to offenders in prison. I think they should offer it in prison instead of waiting until they get out of prison. There is no benefit to wait until afterwards. My understanding is that treatment takes years to have a lasting effect because it is a habitual change to the offenders thinking and habits. So if it takes years to change a person, why wait until the last minute to treat them? Instead of all this lazy punitive reactionary laws that waste American tax-payer dollars, why not strike at the heart of the problem with treatment while incarcerated to help ensure that offenders have the tools to reintegrate into society? I really need some input on this one because I don't understand why this has become about "getting" these people instead of helping them not create more victims? Anyone has any input on this?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find
this matter to be really something that I think I would never
understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me.
I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!


My blog - registry cleaner